Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Blog Five--Exercise and Academics

Growing up in the late fifties, early sixties, my elementary school didn't have a physical education (pe) program--we had lots of recess time when we played four-square or kick ball, jumped rope, hung from the jungle gym.  Over the past forty some years, those "in the know" realized that pe was a necessary part of a child's education--being  physically fit was important.  
Now some educators believe exercise and academic performance may have a correlation.  Dr. Coe states "it appears that vigorous activity, which can be achieved by participating in these activities and sports, is necessary to show changes in academic performance."
Read the article and comment about how classroom teachers can use this knowledge to benefit student learning.  Does your class have regularly scheduled physical education classes?  If not, why not?  Is this a funding issue (we know when dollars are tight, pe and the arts suffer)?  Does your cooperating teacher factor in any type of planned physical activity into the school day?  
Do you agree with Dr. Coe when she says "I think schools need to look out for the health and well-being of their students in addition to their academic preparation. Physical education provides the opportunity for schools to place a focus on health and fitness, without decreasing students’ academic performance."  If so, why...if not, why not?  
Finally, comment on the posts of two other cadets.

Delisio, Ellen R., "Vigorous excercise can lead to academic gains," Education World, 2007.
http://www.educationworld.com/a_issues/chat/chat207.shtml

Due:  Sunday, April 15, 2012 by 11:59 p.m.

6 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Megan Farrar said...

I think that pe is extremely important in school. It gives the students a chance to exercise and to get some energy out when they're in school all day. Exercising and being healthy is vital for growth and development. Not only should parents enforce a healthy lifestyle to their kids, the teachers should also. I think gym class is a perfect opportunity to have a solid 30-60 minutes for exercise at least once a week. I completely agree with Dr. Cole because all kids absolutely need exercise.

In my classroom, my first graders have pe class once a week. They go for an hour and play all kinds of sports. I always hear my students talk about how they love gym class because they get to run around and play. This is the perfect time to get their exercise in. Also, if parents aren't enforcing exercise at home, they have a chance to make up for it at school. Another time students can get exercise is during recess. They can run around, play, and get their energy out.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Sarah Groves said...

I think it's necessary to have a pe class, especially in the elementry schools. I think that the kids definitely need structured physical activity. My students have pe twice a week. When I am there, they have it on Monday mornings for 30 minutes. It's really nice when they get back because they are calm and ready to do their work.

I agree with Dr. Coe. The school should look out for the well-being of the students. It's important that they have the opportunity to get some physical exercise. It also teaches kids how to have fun while they exercise and it gives them a break from their school day.

I agree with Megan about having parents and teachers enforce a healthy lifesyle because it's ver important to stay healthy while they are growing.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Kayli Clodfelter said...

I think that physical education is very important in schools. It gives the kids a chance to move and get rid of all that energy that they sometimes have to keep bottled up. Some kids remember things better when there is movement involved. At St. Rock, my students have P.E. once a week but Mrs. Auger always has them moving somehow. Whenever they have a good day she allows a game or even sometimes they get to go outside. She also does activities where they have to dance or jump around and they love that.

Yes I agree with that comment because kids spend so much time at their school. Their teachers are like their parents when they are at school. If the parents aren't making health a priority then school is that last step in making sure it is.

I agree with megan about the parents not enforcing it at home so school makes sureof it. Physical Education allows them to get some movement in! I also agree with Sarah when she talks about how it allows them to have a break from their day. Children love to be able to run around and play sports. it shows them they can have funn while exercise.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Pauline Dearing said...

My second grade class does have regularly scheduled p.e. classes. They go to p.e. class once a week. I don't think my teachers factors in physical activity into the classroom though. I do agree with Dr. Coe's statement. I think health and fitness is extremely important especially now that there is an increasing number of obese children in our country. Staying healthy is a way of life and I think children need to be taught that. Also, academics is very important but I think physical activity is a way to release stress. Staying healthy makes people happier and more positive which would assist in school work. I think physical education classes should definitely be implemented in schools.

I like what Megan said about how implementing p.e. classes in school will ensure that the kids get exercise because that isn't always a guarantee at home. I like what Kayli said about how her teacher has them do activities that involve jumping or dancing. I think that's really cool. Doing that type of thing will give the students a chance to exercise and get them more excited about their lessons.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger lauramcintosh said...

I agree with all of the other cadet teachers on the fact that PE is a great and important class for students of all ages. I believe that while they may have recess, they still need more time to let some of their energy go so they can focus better while in the classroom. Even though my first graders have recess and are regularly scheduled for a PE class, they are jittery and I believe this makes it harder for them to focus. Most days, there are usually a few students who randomly get up and walk around the classroom! WHY? Because they have energy! PE also teaches the students the benefits and importance in exercising regularly and staying in shape. It's great to start teaching healthy habits at a young age so then the habits just seem to be a part of their weekly routine. It also helps students figure out what sports they are interested in investing more time and effort into. Unlike Kayli's class, when my students are in the classroom, they do not get to do any kind of fun physical activities. They sit at their desks and do work. They get in trouble if they stand up and walk around just for a few seconds for the sake of walking around. I agree with Pauline about what Megan said. Some students don't have a good environment at home that models for them the importance of exercise. Doing it at school is a great way to teach them how to do somehting similar at home!

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

I agree that PE is needed for a students all over education. Students need to have strong minds as well as strong bodies. I agree with the Doctors comment completely. My students at St. Jude have regualalry scheduled gym class. My mom is a teacher in the public school system and her gym teacher was taken away last year. The classroom teachers were put in charge of the gym time. I know that it was difficult for my mo to understand why they would bulid this beautiful gym then not keep a teacher to use it. I also agree with Megan where they talk about home life not being a good example. Although my teacher doesn'y have alot of movement in her classroom i think it is vool that Kylie's teacher does have somje movenet with her kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home