Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Blog Eight--Advice for new Cadet Teachers

Cadets,
This week read a "wireside chat" with Yvonne Bender, author of the New Teacher's Handbook.

Respond to the following:
1) How should a new cadet teacher prepare for their first few days at their elementary school and in their classroom?
2) Do you agree with Bender's ideas and advice? If so, why? If not, why do you disagree?
3) Give your top 3 recommendations to a new cadet teacher
on a successful start to their teaching experience.
4) Respond to the blogs of 2 other cadets...especially on point #3.

FYI:   If you have completed your full-day visit but haven't turned in your report form/reflection, please do so now to receive credit!

Due: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 11:59 p.m.

6 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger Megan Farrar said...

1. As a cadet teacher going into a new classroom, I think that the most important aspect is to have an open mind. It is extremely important to be open to new people and new experiences when entering a new classroom. Also, I think it is very important to get to know your teacher and students. By doing this from the very beginning, you will be more comfortable and the classroom experience will begin to be more familiar to you.
2. I agree with all of Bender's statements. I believe that rules are one of the most important qualities of a classroom, and they are a necessity. Rules help a classroom to be maintained and under control. I also agree with the aspect of trust Bender mentioned. The best way to earn a parent's trust is through frequent communication about how their child is developing and growing.

In order to have an amazing cadet teaching experience, you should...

1) Have an open mind. Become familiar and comfortable with your students and teachers. You will find that your experience will be a lot better.
2) Stick to the rules. Even though it is very hard to be strict with your adorable students, it is necessary for them. The teacher enforces the rules during the day, so you need to enforce them too.
3) Challenge your students. I have found this is very important in cadet teaching. You should challenge your students to work harder on their work or to behave better. By hearing this from you, they will know that you're serious and they will begin to listen to you.

I liked the comment from the past cadet Malerie about not being shy or nervous. Students are so accepting, and they will treat you like you've been there all along. Get involved with them and your experience will be more memorable. I also liked the comment from the past cadet Brooke about not expecting much at first. You can't expect on your first day to jump into teaching a lesson to your class. Expect things to go pretty slow at first. You will probably either start with observing (to figure out how the classroom works) or something simple as reading a book to the students. Throughout the year, you will get to experience and be a part of key aspects of the classroom.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

1.) I would suggest tpo a cadet teacher one their first day to just get to know the classroom teacher. You need her to b your friend to help you through the year. If the teacher doesnt trust you then yuou will habve difficulty getting the students to take you seriously.

2.)I really agree with Bender's statement about letting the students take advantage of you. At the beginning of the year they knew their was things they could get away with with me that they couldn't with their classroom teacher. But now they definitely know not to mess with me:).

1.)Never give up on a student. This is important when you are teaching something the student is not getting. If you have tried everything and still haven't gotten ot them do NOT express frustration. This will only hithter them from learnign what they should.

2.)Don't just be a teacher, be a role model. The students look up to alot because you are in high school. They think that is about the coolest thing ever. Act apportiatley. dress respecteivly and always be respectful. You are shaping them for the future.

3.) Make sure and praise them. If you want respect you must show respect to the students. Listen to their stories and accomplishments. You are helping build their self esteem.

i ike the comment about not being shy or ervous either. If you act intimidated the kids will walk allll over you.I also like the cooment about having to wait out before you see what you love about being a teacher. The beginning is rlly slow.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Pauline Dearing said...

1) I think a new cadet teacher should definitely come in with an open mind and no expectations. The teacher should recognize that they are there to learn from the teacher and to be ready at any moment to step up and do what the teachers asks of you.

2) I like that Bender said you should learn as much as you can about the students, curriculum and school policies. It's better to know too much than to not know enough. I also liked what she said about making rules clear. Students sometimes try to take advantage of teachers so the teachers need to let them know that they are in control and the students need to listen and learn from the teaches.

3) My top three recommendations would be:
1. Always come in with a positive attitude and a smile on your face.
2. Try not to lose your patience. Even if a child is still struggling with the same problem over and over, still work hard to help them understand.
3. Challenge the kids to do their best. If you ask them to put forth their best effort, they will.

I like what Brooke said about being a role model. The kids really do look up to you and watch what you do so you have to always be conscious of that.
I like what Megan said about having an open mind. You never know what each day will bring so you have to be ready to face any challenge.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger lauramcintosh said...

I believe that one should discuss what the teacher plans on having you do along with what you want to do and how you could help.

I agree with her advice because you really need to know your environment before you can properly operate in it. You have to know the rules, expectations, possible interactions, and the goals you should have. Without doing this, one will never figure out how to properly function!

1. Know the kids. By knowing the kids, you know what behaviors to expect and what punishments work.
2. Know the school rules. By knowing the rules, you can reprimand the students about their behavior or actions and prevent them from becoming habits.
3. Know what your jobs are. By knowing what you are supposed to do, you will keep the teacher and yourself in a comfortable environment.

I love how Brooke said to be a role model. This means show the kids how to behave in a classroom and in society. It means showing them to be respectful and polite!
I love what Pauline said about being positive. Honestly, going to my school makes me smile! The kids always surprise you. My class always says "Hi, Ms. McIntosh" every time I walk into the classroom! It's one of the sweetest things ever! By being positive, you are letting the children get the best You! (: Give them your all.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Kayli Clodfelter said...

1. A new cadet teacher should come into the classroom with an open mind to everything. It may be a little awkward when you first walk in but the kids are welcoming the second you walk in the door. When we wrote our letters to the teacher, I put humor into the letter to show my teacher that I was ready to have a good time I also let her know that i was focused.
2.I agree with benders statement. Rules should be one of the focuses in the classroom. Without rules, there can be chaos. You have to show the students who is in charge from the beginning.
3.-Go in with a fun attitude. Showing the kids that you can have fun but be serious makes it easier for them to warm up to you.
-Always be open to help. Showing your teacher tat you are willing to help makes her classroom run a lot more smoother then usual.
-Give them everything you got. Dont hold back when you are in there. Have fun, make a difference and do something that will help them always remember you.

I like Brooke statement about being a role model. They already look up to you because you are older. Give them something to copy.I like Lauras comment about knowing your job. Go in there prepared and willing.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Sarah Groves said...

1. I think that cadet teachers should really try to keep an open mind and look back upon their grade school days. Remember what you enjoyed at that age. It's very important to be easy going and keep a smile on your face.

2. I agree with Bender's advice about getting to know about your students and about your school before you begin. This would have been very helpful at the beginning of the year. It gives the teacher an idea of what to expect from their students.

3. -Keep an open mind. It can be difficult at times to do things differently than you did at that age, but just remember to go with the flow and it will all be fine.
-Always stay calm. I know from experience that it can be difficult or frustrating at times to be asked the same question 15 times in an hour or deal with the same student for disciplinary problems. Although it can be hard to do, staying calm and taking a deep breath will make the situation better.
-Always have a smile on your face. The kids love to see that you are happy to be there with them. They are thrilled to see you everyday. If the kids see that you are happy, they will be in a better mood and have better behavior.

4. I agree with Megan about sticking to the rules. It's so important to do this. I can be difficult to correct those adorable children who usually have great behavior, but just because they are cute, doesn't mean you can give them special treatment.

I also agree with Brooke about not showing frustration. If you show your frustration with they student, they will sense that and stop trying which can only add to your anger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home